Aspiring parents and even parents of newly borns always face the same question- whether to use cloth diapers or go for disposable diapers!! This battle of Cloth Diapers vs Disposable Diapers is not new, rather it’s been under scrutiny since long. And so does the divided opinions and preferences regarding its effect on the health of baby and environment. In this argument of Cloth Diapers vs Disposable Diapers environmental impact, the worst hit is obviously – the environment.
While some agree that disposable – diapers create havoc for the environment, some argue that it is better in hygiene and immune to rashes and other infections, which is good for the little toddler!
Well, let’s have a look at which is better – the debate of Cloth Diapers vs Disposable Diapers:
Cloth diapers are softer and gentle to the skin of babies. Babies’ skin is tender and cloth diapers are even gentler on sensitive skin. Using cloth diapers ensures no rashes or infections, until and unless it is changed when full. However, absorbent capacity of the cloth diapers is somewhat lesser than the disposable one.
Now, when it comes to Disposable Diapers, their absorbency is high, which allows it to be used during long travel. However, it is more prone to rashes and infections and in fact, is harsh on the tender skin of babies.
2. Impact on Environment:
Well, the stakeholders are divided over the impact of cloth diapers vs disposable diapers on the environment. The dumping of disposable diapers openly or mishandling them can be threatening to the environment and even us! Manufacturing of diapers require synthetic synthesis which uses plastic, chemicals etc. which in turn harms the environment.
On the other hand, cloth diapers require intense cleaning and hygiene requirements. Cleaning it with antiseptic liquids and excessive water just results in a waste of water!
# Why cloth diapers are bad?
- Cloth diapers aren’t long-lasting i.e. as soon as your baby ‘does’ his thing, it needs to be changed. Leakage would only be prevented with immediate changing – so say no to cloth diapers, mainly, when on traveling!
- Cloth diapers require intense cleaning- to avoid germs and infections. Even a little carelessness in cleaning up the filled diaper can be harmful. For hygienic and health reasons, expose the washed diapers in direct sunlight, which is almost impossible on rainy days!
- Though Cloth Diapers are reusable, it needs excessive water for it’s cleaning. This is nothing but a waste of water.
# How to clean cloth diapers?
Cleaning the filled or spoiled diaper needs intensive care and concern. Even a little carelessness in washing can cause health problems for your little one. Following are the steps that you can initiate with:
- Put the spoiled diaper directly into the wash. Run the tap water over it.
- Soak the diapers so as to remove the stains.
- Use detergent and not a soap, that is free of any fragrance and is mild in nature.
- Avoid using my fabric softener.I
- You can use any antimicrobial or antiseptic liquids such as Dettol etc. that can prohibit germs-growth.
- After washing expose the diapers into direct sunlight for a couple of hours for a clean and reusable cloth diaper!!