Parenting Tips for Sleep Problems & Solutions
Hello Readers, Today let’s talk on a very important topic Parenting Tips. Parenting is one of the most important role in our life, here we are discussing some parenting tips with you, hope you will like it.
It is not easy when your sleep is interrupted by your baby crying at night and you feel exhausted and frustrated being tired after a long day. Yes, it is a time when you say “I have a problem with my baby’s sleep pattern”. Do not be disappointed, you can easily fix most of these problems with some simple solutions.
Most of the kids between the age of 4 – 6 months sleeps 6-8 hours through the night. Achieving this peaceful and continuous sleep involves well-planned eating habits, and sleeping schedules while avoiding some common pitfalls that generally cause night waking.
It is worth knowing the average time a child would sleep that will eventually keep him/her healthy and active.
Let’s See Points On Parenting Tips –
1. New Born– the infants require almost 16-20 hours of sleep, more precisely sleeping for 1-4 hours and then awake for 1-2 hours.
2. 6 months– Almost 13-14 hours including two naps for about 2-4 hours
3. 1-3 years– children of this age group require around 12 hours of sleep in a day with at least 1 nap per day (1-3 hours)
Infants wake up several times at night as they go through the normal sleep cycles. Major sleep problems occur when the child has not learned to settle himself to sleep and require his/her parents to settle him. Try to develop self-settling in the child from the beginning itself. Make the bedtime more pleasant by cuddling and gentle rocking but do not allow your child to sleep in your arms on a regular basis. He might cry to hold or fuss a little but do not fall into the temptation to pick him up.
There are numerous reasons for the disturbance in the sleep patterns, let us discuss each and find some excellent tips to avoid such conditions.
1. Change in sleeping rituals– Following a daily routine can develop a habit of repeating the same each day. For example- Certain position, some specific pacifier, etc can help your baby to be relaxed and sleep tightly. Try to develop a habit for your baby to follow a similar sleep pattern and also make it in a way that doesn’t require your presence. This way child will learn by himself the daily routine and also settle himself comfortably in the middle of the night.
2. After the age of 6 months infants do not need to be fed in every two hours. Especially drop the habit of midnight feeding as the child will wake up every time in the middle of the night crying for food. Try reducing the amount, or food quantity slowly at night till it is totally eliminated. Do not make it a self-assumption that kid might be hungry at the night. If a proper meal is given in the daytime, kids will be fine in this situation.
3. Limiting the use of pacifiers can be beneficial to develop a self-settling pattern for the kid as in the mid-night when pacifier falls out, the child cries for you to come and put it back. Sometimes studies have also suggested to not reinserting the pacifier once it falls out as being in the mouth for such long time can cause severe infant issues. Instead, you can allow your child to use the thumb. It can be easily re-inserted in the middle of the night by the child himself without any problem.
4. Night Crying is common among the kids and due to extreme love and affection parents do not let the child cry for more than a minute and take them on their lap. This builds a sense of learning in your child’s brain that they can make you appear anytime by mere crying. Do not let this happen after the age of 6 months with your child. Take some time to respond to the crying. Try to settle down the kid but avoid much interaction. Increase the respond time gradually till the child learns to settle himself to sleep.
5. Fears, Nightmares, and terrors can be a big cause of night waking. Do not try to build fear in your child’s brain just to keep them controlled or occupied. Make them feel safe with you by playing with them, spending a good time with the kids. When your children see a bad dream, comfort and reassure him/her to make them feel safe and secured.
6. Wetting in the midnight concerns most of the parents. To change the napkins or diapers, they wake up the child that results in the disturbance of the sleep patterns. Parents can use super absorbent diapers and napkins to avoid night waking.
These can be the few of the reasons for the disturbing pattern. Know the causes and try to fix these to get better sleep for both you and your child.
1. Make a comfortable sleeping place that is quiet and peaceful
2. Avoid exposing your kid to scary movies, stories or television programs
3. Take proper vaccination for your child to avoid any disease
4. Keep the home clean and hygienic to prevent the birth of pathogens
5. Few children may have different sleep issues that may have certain medical or neurological issues which can be better resolved by the doctors
6. Try to do much physical activity during the day. Exercise and exposure to the physical environment helps to get better sleep
7. Do not practice a lot of trickling and stimulating activities before your baby falls to sleep. Instead, use a song or story before the bedtime
8. Learn the position, arrangements in which your child sleeps comfortable and try to practice more of it to make it a habit for convenience
Thanks for reading our blog hope that you have learn something from these parenting tips.